Have nothing in your House.......

I did a project on William Morris for my graphics course at college.  I love William Morris and the pre-Raphaelites movement.  Whilst searching for decluttering inspiration I came across one of his well known quotes:

If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

You can even get a fabulous print from the V & A museum to adorn your walls and remind you of your mission.  I might just stretch to this or maybe I can come up with a print myself.....



I think two broken laptops are definately not useful so I took them to have their hard drives rescued and otherwise they will be consigned to laptop heaven. I also have a collection of three non working cameras and one more bag of clothes to go although I still feel I have not been sufficiently ruthless. I have done a quick and dirty sort out of my fabrics and ribbons but will be returning to them in due course.  I think I will have to term this my first assault on the house, the second wave will have to be a fine tuning exercise....

Next stops are: three boxes of paperwork and books from my PGCE course (7 years ago!); all bathroom  related items which fill two drawers and have escaped all over the upstairs;  two big boxes of brand new toys from when I ran an online toy shop and a corner of the bedroom that attracts stuff.....


Two boxes or bags left in the dark together constitutes a clutter breeding programme.  How else do you explain how this stuff seems to multiply?

Comments

Popular Posts